This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

All Serger Sweater

Before I start on new fabrics I thought I should use up some of my stash. This sweater has been on my mind for a few months now. I bought the fabric on sale for 3 euro per meter. It's a soft medium weight knit fabric. I liked that both the front and back could be used, so I set out to think of a design that would utilize that. I'm really glad I waited until I had my serger to sew this, because it only cost me about 6 hours to put it together! With this sweater I've also switched from using pattern paper to drawing directly on muslin. This has several advantages: 1) It can withstand my clumsyness. I accidently rip pattern pieces all the time. 2) I can try it on immediately, which is necessary because I draw most of my patterns myself which means more fitting turns 3) Its easy to pin onto the fabric, and it also sort of sticks to the fabric.


I wanted to try and see if it would work to draw the bodice and collar as one piece instead of making a separate collar. I used the Renfrew top as a bodice block and expanded it for the collar. It worked out well, it's a nice design feature. I like the stiffness of the cowl-collar, it can be shaped into different forms. Not having a separate collar does mean that there has to be a seam down the middle. An excellent opportunity to add an extra feature by using the back of the fabric in the middle. It looks grey in the picture, but it's brown and white. I kept the cuffs and the waistband of the Renfrew for an easy finish, and I think it suits this design.


I'm very pleased with it, I think I've managed to give the design a certain boldness while using a kind of fabric that could look a bit twee when using the wrong pattern. And it's the first time I've not used my regular sewing machine at all. The inside looks perfect and almost store bought - except for the hand sewn collar edge. It's amazing how easy sewing knit and stretch fabrics has become with my serger!

6 comments:

  1. It looks great! I would call it more space-agey than anything else. definitely not twee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great on you! I love the fabric and your self-drafted pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it.. and i wonder how similar collar may look like on a dress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me gusta la forma del cuello. Muy bonito.

    www.arreboditcomunapantigana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw we have the same serger. Isn't it great?

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!